Planning a tournament fundraiser is a big undertaking, and it certainly helps to have a dream team on your side! In order for your event to go off without a hitch, you’ll want the right people with the right skills in the right committee role.
With all this in mind, we suggest considering the following:
- Choose people who are just as passionate about your fundraiser as you are. Planning a tournament takes hard work! So, fill your team with people who are truly motivated to make an impact for your charity of choice.
- Stick to about 6-9 people total. Too many cooks in the kitchen can make your planning process more difficult in the long-run.
- Seek people who are well-connected. Great connections could mean more sponsorship, prize and attendee opportunities.
A guide to organizing your committee:
Once you’ve chosen the best members for your committee, it’s time to assign them their roles. Assigning specific responsibilities catered to your team’s strengths is the best way to get the most out of everyone’s efforts. Here are some key committee roles to consider, so your team can have ownership and start taking action!
- Tournament Chairperson: This is the CEO of your tournament, offering direction to and accountability for your team.
- PR / Marketing Chairperson: Marketing your tournament well is key to getting more golfers and raising more dollars for your charity. If you want to get the word out, you need someone with the sole responsibility of promoting your charity tournament. Arm your marketing chairperson with golf tournament software to market more effectively. Learn about Event Caddy’s marketing & communication features here.
- Honorary Chairperson: Fill this role with someone well-known in your community, who offers more credibility to your tournament. This person’s sole responsibility is to make your tournament noteworthy through their strong connections.
- Sponsorship Chairperson: The sponsor chairman helps attract and activate sponsors to improve revenue and experience for your event.
- Golfer’s Chair: Your golfer’s chair will oversee all aspects pertaining to attendees come tournament day.
- Operations Chairperson: This highly important position involves working closely with the golf course and making sure tournament operations run smoothly.
Being an effective committee leader:
As the head of this dream team, be sure to take steps to keep everyone feeling motivated and excited to continue doing their part. Lead by example by demonstrating your passion and hard work towards reaching your goal. And, inspire your team even further with regular recognition, acts of appreciation and celebration of wins! Stay in contact and touch base regularly to keep everyone on-track and accountable.
And the ultimate secret sauce to success... don't go at it alone! Never forget that Event Caddy Tournament Management Software is also an extended part of your team!!