Giving Tuesday, falling on November 29th this year, is a global generosity movement that encourages people to give back in any way they can. And give back, they do.
Generosity on Giving Tuesday continues to grow
Originating in 2012, participation in Giving Tuesday has only continued to multiply year after year. 2012 saw $10.1 Million in donations, shooting up to $380 Million in 2019. Talk about opportunity for impact!
Helping your charity tournament benefit from Giving Tuesday
As a charity tournament organizer, the potential for bonus fundraising on this day simply can’t be ignored. Whether your tournament is around the corner, or a year from now, there are so many opportunities to tap into generosity on one of the biggest giving days of the year.
Not sure how to get started? Read on for ideas you can use to capitalize on donations this Giving Tuesday:
1. Engage your sponsors in a matching gift program
A matching gift campaign is when a sponsor offers to match the donations made by individuals within a set period of time. This could look like dollar-for-dollar matches up to a certain amount or the promise to double or increase the donation if you hit a certain goal.
Giving Tuesday is the perfect time to launch a donation match initiative, as folks are often seeking deserving causes to give back to. And how can they resist a program that will double their impact?
Start by approaching one of your sponsors with the opportunity to increase exposure and social impact for their brand. You can put their mind at ease by aligning on a “cap” for their contribution.
Then, make sure you’re top-of-mind when the day comes by sharing the initiative on social media and via email leading up to, and on Giving Tuesday.
2. Kick off an early bird promotion on Giving Tuesday
Put simply, an early bird promotion is a strategy wherein a discounted price or special offer is given to those who commit to your tournament within a set period of time after opening registration.
Because the special offer drives urgency, this can help you attract more golfers, raise more funds, and ultimately make a bigger impact for the charity that means so much to you.
Boost the effectiveness of your early bird campaign by kicking it off on Giving Tuesday, when your community is feeling extra inspired to join the impact movement.
3. Host a #GivingTuesday social media campaign
Social media can be an effective way to share more information about your cause that drives signups and donations. In fact, Facebook refers 29.4% of traffic to donation pages on Giving Tuesday.
Build some posts and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag to expand your reach. Here are some quick ideas for what you can do:
- Host a giveaway where each $10 donation to your cause puts donors in a pot for a sponsored prize or free registration to your event (make engagement on your post a part of the entry requirements to reach more people)
- Set an exciting Giving Tuesday donations goal and share your progress throughout the day
- Put on a social media “challenge” encouraging your community to post about your cause in a creative way. For example, if you’re fundraising for Alzheimer’s, encourage photos of folks wearing purple in support of the cause.
- Create a fundraiser right in Facebook! Click here to learn how.
There’s no doubt that Giving Tuesday offers big opportunity for impact, and there are so many great ways to tap into the wave of generosity. We hope these ideas help drive your donation goals, while raising awareness for your deserving tournament and cause.
Looking for more event marketing ideas you can use on Giving Tuesday and beyond? You can click here to download our Ultimate Charity Golf Tournament Content & Communications Calendar.